Northern Lights over Aurora Borealis Adventures Aurora Tepees. Photo: Explore The North
Northern Lights Activities
1. Northern Lights tour with Backfors Gård. Head out into the winter darkness and look for the Northern Lights during an unforgettable sleighride with sleighbells and all. The tour takes about one hour and halfway you will stop for ”fika” and hot mulled wine.
2. Northern Lights photo tour with Granö Beckasin. Together with their guide, you will learn how to photograph the Northern Lights and how to perpetuate this magical phenomenon.
3. Spend the night in an Aurora Tepee with Aurora Borealis Adventures. You will be warm and comfortable, and sleep in a real double bed, while at the same time enjoying the night sky through the windows in the roof and walls of the tepee.
Northern Lights over lake Bäcksjön. Photo: Fredrik Larsson
Northern Lights over Loberget. Photo: Fredrik Larsson
Where can you see the Northern Lights?
1. Lake Bäcksjön is a popular place for Northern Lights enthusiasts. By the lake there are plenty of rest areas where you can await the natural phenomenon.
Distance from Umeå: 22 minutes by car.
2.Lake Nydalasjön. Close to Umeå University the recreation area of Nydala offers a lighted trail around the lake with barbecue areas and wind shelters.
Distance from Umeå city centre: 10 minutes by car.
3. Lake Tavelsjön. Look for the Northern Lights at the popular lake Tavelsjön. Stay down by the water or head for the top of the mountain Tavelsjöberget. The view from above is amazing!
Distance from Umeå: 30 minutes by car.
Want to learn more about the Northern Lights and get a heads up when it is visible here in Umeå? Then follow Umeå Aurora Hunters on Facebook for daily updates.